Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fendi Hits the (Publicity) Jackpot

Okay, I'm about a week behind the times (it's hard to keep up with the general absurdities of the world while immersed in the greatest absurdity of them all: Vegas), but I need to chime in with the other gazillion bloggers out there chirping about Fendi's new bicycle. I'm probably not the first to say this but: really?? $10,000 for a BIKE??? Let's see, in the list of things I'd spend $10,000 on, after a vacation, jewelry, clothes, artwork, extravagant dining experiences... I'd say a bike comes in... mmmm... d-e-a-d l-a-s-t. What would I do with a $10,000 bike? I'd certainly be afraid to hitch it to the back of my car; I'd never take it to the streets of New York and chance having it mangled or stolen; I don't know that I'd even ride it around Westerly for fear of dings from gravel. But, what do I know? Because Fendi reportedly sold four of the bikes at the launch party alone.

The Fendi Abici Amante Donna comes tripped out with all sorts of luxury touches (like a detachable Fendi carrying case and a leather GPS holder), but clearly this is about status. While I clearly am not a fan over-priced status symbols, I am slightly encouraged that this may be a sign of better times ahead for luxury goods and services. I also have to give Fendi props for doing what I'm constantly nagging about: thinking creatively. Had they launched yet another bag, it would have barely registered a blip in the traditional and social media. Google this bicycle, on the other hand, and find pages of blogs and news reports. The Fendi Abici Amante Donna may not be the most effective mode of transportation, but it certainly is an effective PR vehicle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment