Sunday, May 17, 2009

Loving My Corner of the World

Since I moved from New York a year and a half ago, friends constantly ask me how I could leave the "center of the universe" for sleepy Rhode Island. Well... there are a million reasons: glorious beaches, the culture of Providence (aka, the Renaissance City), the arts and community in my new hometown: Westerly (not to mention the joy of being surrounded by Sox fans, instead of Yankee lovers!) 
Today, as Mia and I took little excursions to Wilcox Park and Weekapaug, I could feel the buzz. Memorial Day is a week away and already the out-of-state cars are everywhere. And, while I love my little town any time of the year (and love the gorgeous beaches even more in the off-season), I'm excited about the summer ahead. For those who think it's all college kids at Misquamicut bars or mindless sweating on crowded beaches, check out some of the cultural events Westerly has to offer this summer:
The Virtu Art Festival, an exhibit and sale of fine works of arts by more than 190 artists. 
Theater throughout the season at the beautiful Granite Theater.
Monthly shows at the Artists Cooperative Gallery
And that is just to name a few... 
Visit the Westerly Chamber of Commerce for other events. And, to everyone near and far: Happy (almost) Summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment