Friday, May 22, 2009

Artsy Weekend Ahead

I had a little, unofficial, sneak peak at some of the Virtu Arts Festival exhibitors this evening as my lab, Mia, and I wandered around Wilcox Park on this, the start of the Memorial Day weekend. And I was impressed. I missed the festival last year--my first Memorial Day here in Westerly, R.I. And, admittedly, the then-jaded-New-Yorker in me expected kitschy artwork. So, as I said hello to artists setting up their tents around the park today, I was pleasantly surprised. I saw quality painting and pottery, some fun impulse-buy jewelry, and gorgeous photography... this from just a handful of the 100+ exhibiting at the festival tomorrow and Sunday.

Living in an arts-oriented community with amazing beaches has great advantages. One of them being quiet coffeehouses, restaurants and events (and pristine beaches that I feel like are mine alone) in the off season. But, while I don't always love the traffic and crowded stores that come with this official start of "the" season, the energy of the summer-time can't be beat. And this weekend's festival downtown only amplifies it. So, if you're in the area, or looking for a day trip this weekend (the Amtrak station is within walking distance of the park, festival, and fabulous downtown restaurants, and there are several trains daily along the Boston-New York corridor), check it out. For more details, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment